Spinning your own fancy and specialty yarns (18-10)
Tutor: JILL PETTIFER
Day 1: Understand and learn techniques Day 2: Learn to design our own fancy yarns!
Day 1 (Sat 11 Aug): This fun one day workshop will teach participants how to create a range of fancy and speciality yarns such as boucle, crepe, core, knop, marl, slub etc.
Blends and mixtures will be explored, unpacking the characteristics of the component fibres and yarns. Fibres and yarns will be studied and analysed.
Participants need to have some spinning experience.
Optional Day 2 (Sun 12 Aug): Using the knowledge gained on day 1, participants will design and create yarns, giving full specifications. These will be shared, thus creating a great resource. This day also suits people who participated in Jill’s workshop last year.
DATE: Saturday 11 August and/or Sunday 12 August
TIME: 10.00am - 4.30pm
WHERE: Textile Works, Canberra Spinners and Weavers
ONE DAY: $110 (full fee)*, $90 (CSW members) + MATERIALS: $10
TWO DAYS: $220 (full fee)*, $180 (CSW members)
Please bring your own spinning wheel or hire one from CSW @ $15 month.
You can secure a spot by booking and paying online
- already single spun yarn (details will be provided), 3 small containers to hold balls,
- fabric off-cuts (2 hand fulls), unusual fibres you may have in your stash,
- any interesting yarns you may have to analyse,
- lazy Kate, Niddy Noddy, hand carders, comb, scissors, flicker (optional),
Please bring your own lunch. Coffee and tea provided
* - Save on workshop costs and make use of our great library, shop and join other activities by becoming a member of Canberra Spinners and Weavers (full membership $75). See our website for membership form.
- $50 not refundable with cancellation two weeks before start of the course.
Enquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org